Apologies for the poor sound quality in parts of this episode, Guy’s microphone has been taken outside and shot.
- Jonathan is a regular contributor to Skype of Cthulhu, his first foray into orchestrating the madness was with the episode ‘Dockside Dogs’.
- Jon and Richard are also known associates of “LOL of Cthulhu [working title]”
- Ortolan aren’t actually from Peru, but are natives to Europe, Asia and Africa. The horrific practice (NSFW) of eating them was outlawed in 1999, although the French didn’t begin enforcing it until eight years later.
- The French Revolution occurred in the late eighteenth century. Not to be mistaken with the June Rebellion of 1832, which, were it not for Victor Hugo and the eponymous musical would have gone down in history as a slightly bloodier ‘Occupy Wallstreet’.
- Ecarte is an old French card game based around tricks [there may be a pun in here...]. Revealing the King (aces being low) a player automatically wins a trick.
- The Devil Went Down to Georgia is a song by the Charlie Daniels band and is almost certainly the greatest country song ever written.
- H.P. Lovecraft’s works are generally considered to now be in the public domain although Wikipedia gives a brief summary of the issues. The H P Lovecraft Literary Podcast cover it in a little more detail
- The Vingt e un club may refer to the number of spots on a six sided die, the 21 trump cards in a tarot deck, black jack, or the eponymous drinking game…
- Diogenes, amongst other things, slept in a jar.